Thursday, May 24, 2012

Reddit!



I’ve been spending a lot of time on Reddit for the past few days.

For those of you who do not know what Reddit is – It is basically a site where users post links about what’s new on the web. That was what it started of atleast. Today, you find redditors sharing their inspirational, funny or plain random stories on it.
Sharing links sounds boring, you might say. That’s exactly what I first thought as well. After spending some time on it, I found out that it was much much more than just links.

Making an account on reddit takes just about 5 seconds. All you have to do is enter your username and password. That’s it, no e-mail (unless you want to give it), no name, no nothing. So, I suggest you make an account there and check it out.

Google used to be homepage sometime ago. Until I shifted to firefox where I was greeted with a empty tab. I found that visually displeasing so, I again made google my homepage. After some time, I got bored with it. It was only on some days that I was greeted by a google doodle. On all the other days, all I got was Google’s original logo with an empty search bar. I wanted to liven up my homepage. So, I set mit.edu as my homepage. I thought that maybe it’ll help me read scientific/interesting stuff. But after a month, I found out that I hardly even used it. I would just close it after some time after just reading the title. I tried changing it to StumbleUpon, blogger, AoPS etc. but to no avail. The same thing just repeated itself and I hardly even glanced at them. Well, now that I’ve found reddit, I made it my homepage and voila. Suddenly, there’s so much information everywhere. Reddit as my homepage is one idea that actually clicked.

Reddit is very informative, it’s members are on the higher side of the 100 on the IQ scale and none of my friends are on it. :P

Reddit also has this system in which you earn karma for submitting good links (which get upvotes) or if your comments get upvotes. Currently, my link and comment karma is pathetic but, I’m just finding my bearings. It’s an art form, you know.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve wanted to say for this post.

Until next time,

Adarsh.

No comments:

Post a Comment